We've been busy since our vacation & I haven't really had time to post anything yet. You may be thinking I've been too busy to update my blog because I've been unpacking & doing laundry & all the things that come with being home from a vacation, not to mention getting Evan ready for his first day of school. Though I have been doing those things, I have also had my hands full with other things as well. I'll back up just a little to the day before we left for our trip. It was Evan's birthday & I was busy packing for our trip AND trying to prepare for Evan's birthday party. I went downstairs to grab something & much to my surprise the kitchen in my basement was filled with water. There had been a clogged pipe which resulted in all of my dishwasher water on the floor in the basement. I didn't have time to clean it up so it just sat there until my parents stopped by for Evan's birthday, saw the mess, & cleaned it up for me. They were real lifesavers & I am so grateful for their labor of love on my behalf!
One catastrophe down & now we were free to go on our trip. We left & were gone for 12 days, 12 glorious days of no housework, no laundry, no dishes. However, my euphoria was quickly dashed when we got home & walked into our house and we could smell that something wasn't quite right. Eric discovered that the foul odor was coming from the garage, in fact, it was so bad that I could smell it from the street. Apparently our deep freeze in our garage stopped working while we were gone & all of the meat in our freezer had gone rotten. It smelled like an animal had died & festered in our garage (which in a way I guess it had). There was blood all over the garage floor & lots of "yuck" in the bottom of the freezer. I won't go into details and I didn't take a picture because, trust me, no one wants to know what it was like. I seriously considered becoming a vegetarian after cleaning up & smelling that mess.
After scrubbing my garage floor three times, pouring four boxes of baking soda on it and a whole bottle of enzymes the garage is finally breathable. It still doesn't smell great, but you can at least walk in there without gagging. The freezer is still a work in progress and hopefully it will be salvagable when all is said and done. In the end, we had to throw everything out that was in our freezer because the rotten meat smell had soaked into everything and we lost at least $500 worth of food. It was a tragic, disgusting mess & I'm just glad that I'm finally done cleaning it up! Now I can move on to more important things, like updating my blog with our vacation pictures...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
So so sorry to hear... Isn't that the way it goes. I am glad to hear that your trip was good. Can't wait to see pictures.
Ick. So much for Home Sweet Home huh? Guess things aren't so bad on my end. Excited to see your pictures though. And I am so sorry we missed Tyler's Birthday party, It totally slipped our minds until that weekend!
I was going to say that really stinks and then I realized my pun but anyway, so sorry!! I can't imagine coming home to that. Your neighbors were probably wondering if something had happened to you guys and if they should call the cops or something. How disgusting! I'm glad that it's all cleaned up and I'm excited to hear about all the good things now!
You know, those stories must be told, if only for the abundance of sympathy we receive, and I hope you know I feel for you! Yuckers! Once, my girls left our downstairs freezer door open after getting an otterpop and all the frozen fish Shane had caught, plus some beef thawed. The smell was way grody, so I can imagine the magnitude of an entire freezer full. And to top it all off, to have lost so much money! Yikes. That puts my vacation distaster of the spilled milk and chili to shame. Ugh. You win for sure!
Post a Comment