Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Hiking to the Cross

For Family Home Evening this past Monday we hiked up to the cross that is at the mouth of Spanish Fork canyon where the first white (& coincidentally spanish) explorers entered the Utah Valley. They were two catholic priests, Father Dominguez & Father Escalante, hence the reason for the cross & how Spanish Fork got its name.

In all my years of living in Utah, and more recently Spanish Fork, I have never hiked up to the cross (I didn't really know you could). We hiked it as a youth group a couple weeks ago & I thought it would be something my family would enjoy, which we did. It was a beautiful hike & when we got there I gave a short lesson about our Savior & how he died for us on the cross.

All in all, it was a great evening for everyone that was there!



We can see the cross from our house & our house from the cross. Can you find it?

What a gorgeous way to finish off our wonderful evening!

2 comments:

Ginger said...

That's awesome! You have such a fun family! I see your house (only because I know it is infront of the church)

Tonia said...

Beautiful pictures! And in all my time I lived in SF I don't think I ever really noticed the cross much, let alone knew the story behind it (or that you could hike to it). Sounds like a fun time and a good lesson to go along with it!