For those who may not know, a rag quilt is where you sew the seams on the top & outside of the quilt & then each time it gets washed the ends fray more & more until you have a soft, fuzzy blanket. The plus side to this type of blanket is once you are done sewing it together there is no need to quilt the blanket. This was a big bonus because I don't want to tie the quilts & I don't have money to take the quilt to someone to have them machine quilt it. I could have figured out how to machine quilt it on my machine, which I was planning on doing until I found the rag quilt instructions.
So I have finally finished the first quilt & found that there are still drawbacks to this style of quilt. It took me about 2 1/2 to 3 hours just to snip the edges of the quilt, which is probably about the same amount of time it would have taken me to tie the quilt. Oh well, I am really happy with the way it turned out & I am glad I chose this design.
Here are all of the blankets before I cut them up.
I embroidered Evan's name on this quilt since this one is for him. I will embroider each of their names on their quilt.
This is the quilt after I pieced it together, but before I snipped the edges & washed it.
And here is the final project after it has been washed a couple of times. It was a lot of work, but I think the boys will love snuggling with them just as much as they did when they were babies.
9 comments:
So cute. Great job.
Those are awesome! Absolutely priceless! I'll tell you, I made my older two girls quilts from all the leftover fabric I had hanging around, which included ones from previous blankies etc, and they are ragged only on the edge, but they are the girls favorites! They aren't as attractive as the ones you made for the boys, but they are beloved all the same! Does your machine embroider names and stuff? That is awesome! Very, very professional looking...oh I love them! How bout a big quilt for your best bud and Phase 10 pal?
Those are so cute, I love them! Good work.
Those are great Jamie! What a good idea! I love Maddy's rag quilt and it just gets better everytime you wash it!
u r talented i could never do quilts
Wow, Jamie, what an ambitious project. I think it is neat that you have done that. The boys will enjoy them for a long time. Way to go!
This looks so great! What a great idea. I think I might have to do this too!
Love them! You've definately earned the title of "SUPER MOM" in my book. What lucky little boys you've got.
So cute!
Post a Comment