Wednesday, July 16, 2008

My Favorite Room

So, several weeks or months ago (has it really been that long?) my friend Angie did a "My Favorite Room" post & asked anyone who wished to post their favorite room on their blog as well. I had good intentions to get it done right away, but I had to wait for my room of choice to be clean enough to take a picture of it worthy of being posted on my blog. I choose my kitchen as my favorite room, however it is also my least favorite room at the same time. I have a love/hate relationship with my kitchen.


First of all, the reasons why I love my kitchen in no particular order:


  • Food. Need I say more? The kitchen is associated with food & I enjoy a good meal or dessert or snack.

  • Family. I enjoy gathering together each morning & evening for a meal with my family. It's a time when we can talk about what we did that day or just enjoy each others' company.

  • Cooking & Baking. I truly enjoy making things in the kitchen & I love trying a new recipe (feel free to pass along any of your favorite recipes...I'd love to try them!). I also enjoy that my boys like to make things with me. They will help me make anything from cookies to pies to Ramen soup to salad dressing. Secretly I am training them how to cook so that when they get older I won't have to anymore & they can be my personal chefs. Evan has already agreed to it!

  • Cabinets. If you look at the picture you'll notice a whole row of cabinets. Oh the things I can store & organize in those lovely cabinets. In my last house I never had enough storage space & consequently my cabinets were always disorganized & messy. These cabinets give me plenty of room for all my appliances, kids crafts, dishes, etc, etc.

  • Floor. One of the first of many home improvement projects that we did in this house was tear out the old kitchen floor & put a new one in. The original floor was disgusting & had lots of broken tiles & I hated walking on it & mopping it. I am in love with this new floor. It was scary to pick out the tile & the grout because you never know what it's going to look like until it gets installed. But by the time it is installed it's too late to tear it out & start over so you just hope & pray you made a good choice. I was so relieved when the floor turned out so well. I also love the dark grout because it doesn't show the dirt & stains. It was a great choice!

  • Craft Projects. From play dough to school projects to scrapbooking, the kitchen is a central place to do all kinds of fun things.
  • Red Wall. I love my red bay window in my kitchen. I painted it to coordinate with the red wall in my living room & I am so happy with the way it turned out. Painting a room red can be scary, and with so many shades of red to choose from it can be hard to pick out just the right one. I love the shade Eric & I picked (again another good choice, phew! Thanks Eric!).


Now the reasons why I hate the kitchen:



  • Dishes. Need I say more?

  • Mopping. Need I say more?
  • Size. I wish the dining room was bigger so I didn't feel like I was tripping over chairs all day long.
  • Stove. I really don't like my stove because it doesn't match the other appliances in my kitchen, and someday when we have the money we'll replace it. It works great so it has been hard to justify buying a new one.
  • Dishes. Did I already say that? Well, it deserves being mentioned twice because that's how much I hate doing the dishes! I hated them as a kid and I hate them even more as an adult. Oh well, someone's got to do it (and I know it won't be Eric) so I'll just tough it out & keep doing them. My next project will be to train my kids how to do the dishes so I won't have to do them anymore either.

3 comments:

Ginger said...

I love your kitchen too, especially your table, I love love love your table. It was the table I wanted origanally:) Hey Jamie, did you mention that you hate dishes? Wasn't sure if I read that or not? I DO TOO!!!!!! Sooooooooooo much! Guess we know what Maddy will grow up hating too huh?

Unknown said...

Jamie, my love! You ROCK!!! Thanks for doing the dishes all the time... I'm going to owe you bigtime in the next life! hahaha

Shane's Angie said...

PJ, your kitchen is beautious! I totally agree with you...I love the flooring...it was actually the first thing I noticed. Just so you know, I lived in this house for 5 years before we got to redo anything, so I think you are ahead of this game! That huge wall of cabinets is a dream I bet! Thanks for doing my tag!