Leave your family dear,
Or walk a thousand miles or more to be a pioneer.
You do have to have great courage,
Faith to conquer fear,
And run six miles & a little more to be a Speedy Spaniard!
If you haven't guessed, this is my Pioneer Day post. My day started out bright and early (5:30am) because I had to be at the park near my house to run the Speedy Spaniard 10k. The race started at 6:30am and I was very nervous! Like I mentioned before, I am training to run a half marathon in August, but this 10k was only the second race I have ever participated in in my adult life. I have run more than six miles before, but nonetheless I was a basket of nerves on this morning. The race began & I felt like part of a herd of cattle as hundreds of people were corralled out of the park. Once we got on our way & people were more spread out it became a lot more enjoyable. I was able to run (and I use that term very loosely...I'm actually more of a jogger) the entire 6.1 miles & I ran a pretty steady 11-minute mile. So, as you can see I wasn't a very "Speedy Spaniard", but I finished the race in an hour & seven minutes & that was a big accomplishment for me.
As I rounded the final corner & started my sprint for the finish line I was cheered on by my sweet mom. Thanks, mom! And as I neared the finish line I saw my four sweet boys standing on the sideline cheering me on. I couldn't ask for a better finish than that!
After the race we rushed home so we could get ready for the big Spanish Fork Fiesta Days parade. Evan & Mark were part of the parade & I was a parent volunteer with their group. They were able to participate with their karate school & it was fun to watch them walking down the street in "formation" doing karate moves all along the way. Mark is a Pee Wee Ninja so he (and I) got to ride in the trailer. Thank goodness because I was not anxious to walk any more than necessary after my run that morning. I was really proud of Evan because he walked the entire parade route (probably about 2 miles) and he didn't complain. He even said he had a lot of fun!
Below: Here's Evan in action...he's the orange belt in the gray shirt & camo pants standing right behind the two boys that are crouched down.
4 comments:
Way to go PJ! I'm so proud of you, I can't even imagine myself running that far on purpose! Wow! You go girl!!!!
Yay Jamie! Awesome job. And how cute are your boys in the parade? How fun!
Way to go on the 10k! I have thought lately how I want to do a half marathon but I am not very far on training. Good luck with it in August!
I am so proud of you Jamie! Told you that you can do anything.
Post a Comment