Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Burying Our Weapons

Last night for Family Home Evening we talked about some people in the Book of Mormon who called themselves the Anti-Nephi-Lehi's. They were converted to the church and decided that they didn't want to go to war anymore, so they buried their swords as a promise to Heavenly Father that they would not kill anymore; they wanted to be known as peaceful people and people of God. Our family decided that we also want to be known as a peaceful people and people of God so, on paper swords, we wrote down what our modern day weapons are (i.e. lying, teasing, complaining, etc.) and we buried them so that we can no longer use them, just as the Anti-Nephi Lehi's did with their real weapons hundreds of years ago.

My mom gave us this same lesson when we were growing up and it made a big impression on me. Thanks, mom, for your good example and lessons...I really was listening!

3 comments:

Shane's Angie said...

Jamie, that was darling! I'm gonna steal your ideas again...so thanks for posting them!

Tonia said...

What a cute video - how do you make them? I also remember that fhe from when we are kids and it left a big impression on me too. I've thought that when the girls were older I'd have one like that too. I liked the idea of making paper swords - very cute!

Lani said...

You have such great FHE ideas. That would be such a great one for my kids to do.