Thursday, June 26, 2008

We Look Good in Yellow

Mark & Evan both promoted to their yellow belts on June 23rd & 25th! This was definitely a video-worthy event, however we have been so busy with family reunions on both sides of the family that I haven't had time to make one. Hopefully the pictures will be just as enjoyable without music playing in the background.



Mark is so proud of his new yellow belt. His is actually white with a yellow stripe because he is a Little Ninja & they don't get solid colored belts until they turn 5 years-old. Here's Mark in a defensive stance...doesn't he look cute...er, tough?


And here he is with both of his belts. They start with a white belt & work their way through yellow, orange, purple, blue, green, red, a series of brown belts & finally their black belt.
This is Evan during promotion (he is in the middle). They have to stand in front of a panel of judges who watch them do their forms. If they do their forms appropriately then they are promoted to their next colored belt.
They also put on a "show" for all of the parents & people watching the promotion ceremony. They are all sitting in their listening position, lined up & ready to show us some kicks. Evan is in the middle row on the front.
Here they are all lined up waiting for instructions. I love karate because it teaches the kids good self-discipline, how to follow directions & it is also a great way for them to use their body & stay active.
Here is Evan in action doing his best showtime kick!

Here is Evan proudly wearing his newly earned yellow belt.

Here is a movie compilation of several video clips we took of Evan during his promotion.

NOTE: This is more for my own records than anything, but we don't have videos or pictures of Mark during promotion because he "accidentally" promoted early. We went to the Monday Pee Wee Ninja class for an extra practice lesson (Pee Wee Ninja's only have class once a week) & the teacher said we were just going to practice for promotion. However at the end of class he said the class did so good that they were going to promote them right then so they wouldn't have to come back on Wednesday. I wasn't prepared to promote until Wednesday, so Eric wasn't there with the camera. I didn't have the heart to tell Mark he couldn't get his belt while the rest of his class got their belts, so I just went with the flow. We'll get videos & pictures of his next promotion.

Way to go Evan & Mark! You guys are so awesome! I am proud of you for sticking with it and promoting to your yellow belts. Keep it up & before you know it, you'll have your black belts & you'll be karate pros. We love you!

3 comments:

Tonia said...

Congrats guys! I'm very impressed. I loved watching the little video of Evan, too bad they surprised you with Mark's promotion. Good job boys, keep up the good work!

Shane's Angie said...

Looks like fun, I'm still thinking that would be something Gracie would like to do...I'm just worried she would use her skills too often!

Ginger said...

I love it! So when Mark turns 5 will he have to start all over again? Do you think the poses he was doing when we did pictures was part karate and part hulk?