I was reading my friends' blog about her familys' first day of summer break and how it wasn't all rosy and fun like we sometimes imagine summer should be. So, Angie, this post is for you to help you feel not so bad about your first day of summer. And I'm going to apologize up front because it is a little lengthy, but since I am using this as a sort-of journal I thought this story deserved a place in my blog.
So, we have Hollie here for a couple of weeks and we thought it would be fun to go camping and have a little family bonding time. Eric took a couple of days off of work so we packed up & headed out for a camping adventure. We found a fun place to camp just 30 minutes from our home where we could camp and ride our 4-wheelers and have a little R&R. We got there on Friday and had a great time and everything was going just as planned. Then, during the middle of the night on Friday I got the stomach flu. It was no big deal because I just drove home and spent Saturday sleeping and by evening I felt a whole lot better. I was sad to have missed out on an entire day of 4-wheeling & fun, but at least I wasn't sick anymore.
Sunday came & went without incident in our family. Joelle had been camping with us & Kendall got sick & threw up. We thought he probably had heat exhaustion from playing in the sun all day & not drinking enough water. So Joelle packed up & headed home early.
Sunday night, Tyler started getting sick (a cold...not the flu) so we were up with him while he screamed until 2:30. Then he only slept for 5 hours before he was up and bawling again, which means that Eric & I only got 5 hours of sleep as well. I was determined to have a little fun before we left so that my weekend wasn't a total waste. So we packed most of our camp up & headed out for a two-hour 4-wheeler ride. We got home & Tyler spent a good portion of the rest of the evening crying. I had to hold him or else his cries would escalate in to full-out screaming. I was so relieved when he finally calmed down & drifted off to sleep around 9:30. My bed was calling my name & since I was low on sleep from the night before I was so looking forward to climbing in and not surfacing again until morning. But that was not to be.
About the time I put Tyler to bed, Hollie told me that she felt sick to her stomach. Around 20 minutes later she was in the bathroom throwing up. Once we got her settled, we headed off to bed. I had only been asleep about 20 minutes when Evan woke me up & told me that he had thrown up, too. I dragged myself out of bed & was apalled to discover the mess that awaited me. He sleeps on the top bunk bed in his room and he apparently tried to make it to the bathroom, but didn't quite get out of bed fast enough. He was right at the edge of the bed when it happened...and it was literally everywhere! He got it on his bed, his stuffed animals, the ladder, the foot board, the floor, & Mark's bed. So...I had to take the bedding off of two beds, sanitize every square inch of his bed, every square inch of Mark's bed, clean the ladder while Eric shampooed the carpet. It took the two of us an entire hour to clean up the mess. A funny side note, though, is that Mark slept through the entire ordeal, including me taking his bedding off his bed & putting new bedding on.
Now I not only have the camping laundry to wash, but two sets of bedding, a bed full of stuffed animals and almost every towel in my house (I took all the towels off the racks after Hollie threw up so that we don't spread the sickness to anyone else). And if that wasn't enough, I have quarantined my kids to the house so every room in my house looks like a bomb went off in it.
There is a good part to this sad tale, and that is that Evan only threw up once, Mark hasn't gotten sick yet (knock on wood), & Tyler slept for more than five hours last night. Hollie is still sick, but feeling a little better (she hasn't thrown up for about four hours).
So, Angie, I hope you feel a little better about your first day of summer. And I have to say, that I hope my summer can only get better from here!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Oh man! I'm glad that Jon and I left when we did! I'm sorry to hear that your whole family has been struggling since that weekend. I hope that everyone gets better and that you can finally get some sleep!!
It was fun going out on the 4-wheelers I must say. My first time off roading and I'm going to put up videos and pictures as soon as I can. :)
Oh girl! I am so sorry that happend. You tried so hard to have fun but the bug got to you. Atleast it makes for a good story later. I hope you can get out again and it ends well.
Ouch...I am sorry! I heard you were sick this weekend but didn't know it was a family affair! Jon and I thought it was pretty funny that Mark didn't even wake up! Good ol' Mark. So did you figure out if it was a bug or if you all ate something? Well, good to hear you are feeling better!
PJ, you really did beat me this time! I can't say I mind though, I HATE the stomach flu! UGH! I've been there enough times in my child rearing lifetime and I can sympathize! I only wish you had taken pictures...just kidding! Very fun story! Thanks for sharing the love!
WOW, Jamie! That sounds terrible! I hope you can recover from all of that! That is terrible! Good luck with the laundry and I hope no one else gets sick!
Post a Comment