Monday, March 24, 2008

Building Walls

When we bought our house we loved pretty much everything about it. There were a few things that we didn't like, though, and one of them was our office space. For those of you who haven't been to our new pad, the living room and the office are right next to each other. The office is kind of a little outlet of the living room, but it was kind of awkward because there was no door separating the two rooms. So when you walked in our front door, you had the office to the right and the living room straight ahead. I wanted the office to be just that, an office, where we could shut the door (and the mess) when people came over if need be. So we determined that the best thing to do would be to install some french doors. We had to extend the wall out just a bit longer than it originally was in order for the doors to fit. I didn't take a before picture, but you can get the idea from looking at this first picture.

Here it is framed in.
This is after the sheetrock and mud have been put up.
The final mudding & texturing have been done and the baseboards and trim are up. All that's left now is the painting (that was my job).
Here is the final product. I am quite happy with the way it turned out. To the left of the wall is the kitchen and dining room. You can see our couches in the foreground where our living room is. The wall & doors just gave it a more complete feel. I love the way it turned out, but more importantly, I'm glad it's finally done!
Here's another picture with both doors closed.


4 comments:

Ginger said...

I LOVE it! It looks so good congrats! I love the pics on the left side of the wall too...nice touch.

Lani said...

It looks so good! I'll have to come and take the grand tour of your house when we move back.

Melissa said...

I LOVE THE DOORS!! Way to go! They are so cute. You are too awesome to do that!

Love ya!

Tonia said...

I never saw your house before but I love the doors - it looks so nice! Good work.