Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Watch Out...Dinosaurs on the Loose!

We, as mothers, sometimes have to be a creative bunch. Mark is a perpetual snacker, and is always asking me for a snack. Today he kept asking me for a snack, but he hadn't even finished his lunch yet. It was sitting on the table with about two bites taken out of it. I had bought a dinosaur sandwich cutter, thinking that if he could eat a "dinosaur" he might finish his whole sandwich without a fight. Well, my tactic didn't work exactly the way I had hoped, so it was time for me to get a little creative. I told him to pretend that he was a T-Rex and he was eating a dinosaur and the jam in the sandwich was the dinosaur's blood. (I know that sounds a little violent, and I don't normally encourage that kind of pretend play, but sometimes that's the only way to catch a little boy's attention. And sometimes I'll do whatever it takes to get my kids to actually finish an entire meal without a fight. That doesn't make me a bad mom, does it?) Within two minutes he had devoured the entire sandwich and the next thing I knew he came growling into the room and had jam smeared all over his face. He had really embraced this whole dinosaur pretend thing! So beware...there are dinosaurs on the loose at my house!


2 comments:

Lani said...

You should get a mom of the day award. Those pictures are too funny, scrapbook time anyone?

Shane's Angie said...

I love hearing about your "boy" adventures. If I had encountered that predicament, I would have had to pretend that we were fairies and if we wanted to make it back to the enchanted forest in time, we would have to eat some of the magic mushroom which would make us invisible and able to fly past the evil sorceress and into our tree-top homes...