Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Go Cougars!...No Really


Okay, so I got a call from my neighbor this morning and she informed me that there was a COUGAR sighting in MY NEIGHBORHOOD last night. Does this alarm anyone else? She wasn't sure if it was true or just a story floating around. Well, I don't want to take any chances with my children's LIVES, so I called the police department to find out if it is true. The dispatcher told me that there was a reported sighting last night and the officer who came to check it out couldn't find the cougar, but if I saw it again to be sure and let them know.
We then called my neighbor who reported seeing the cougar, and she said that she looked out her kitchen window last night and saw a large animal sitting in her neighbor's backyard. It had a long tail and looked like a cat, but it was much too large to be an ordinary house-cat. She thought she was going crazy, but after watching it for a few minutes, she decided it really was a cougar and so she called the police.
I know we live kind of out of town, but I didn't realize just how out of town it is apparently. And, just for your information, we also frequently have deer in our yard...and we also found out that there is a mother bear and her bear cubs hanging around somewhere near our home. A local elementary school has banned children from walking to school for a while until they feel it is safe again. My neighbor told me that there have been cougar sightings every spring in our neighborhood for the past few years. One year they even found the cougar (in the yard across the street diagonally from me) and had to sedate it and release it back into the wild. Now don't you think this would have been nice to know before we bought the house? Oh well, I know it wouldn't have changed our decision to move here. So there you go...that's my little adventure story for the day.
(By the way, that is not a real picture of the actual cougar in my neighborhood...I just put it on here for affect.)

3 comments:

Shane's Angie said...

The effect was good...it sent chills down my spine! I love that story! I told you it was bloggable, and I was right! But, I have to say, I'm disturbed you didn't mention the most important thing about this day! It's your birthday! Woo Hoo! (Maybe you've decided that after 30 it isn't worth celebrating them anymore...)

Lani said...

Happy Birthday! It probably would have been a great birthday present if they had caught the cougar- at least that would temporarily help you relax and you wouldn't have to spend your birthday wondering about the well being of your children. Maybe they'll catch it tonight, along with the mama bear and cubs!

Leavitt Family said...

Happy Birthday Jamie, I would not want ANY animals in my neighborhood even my two cats Buddy and Princess.